Search

Transgender Day of Remembrance

November 13, 2016 by zrb8mf@virginia.edu   |   Leave a Comment

Dear qMD,
I just wanted to let you guys know about the upcoming Transgender Day of Remembrance event coming up next weekend hosted by the undergraduate Queer Student Union and the LGBTQ Center.  One of the organizers reached out to us with the following email:
Next Sunday we will be holding a vigil for Transgender Day of Remembrance. This vigil is part of vigils held collectively all over the United States in remembrance of the transgender people who have been unlawfully murdered this year. 
We are looking for your group or organization to send one person to be part of the vigil. During one portion of the vigil we will be reading the names and stories of the 23 lives lost in 2016. We would like to gather 23 leaders from 23 different organizations to read 1 story each. I would greatly appreciate if you would reply to this email with someone who would be available on Sunday, November 20th from 7-830 pm to represent your organization. 
The phenomenon of transphobic violence affects people of all backgrounds. In addition, it is important that we as a University community show transgender students and community members that we all stand in solidarity against anti-transgender rhetoric and violence. Support from your community would be greatly appreciated.
I would encourage anyone who is interested to attend.  I will be away on the interview trail and so will not be able to attend. If anyone is interested in representing qMD and reading one of the stories, please let me know and I can put you in contact with the organizer.
Brian

Comments