Student Safety at Night- Parking & Transportation
There are several ways to go to and from the hospital with or without a car.
Late night / Early morning
- UTS – Download the TransLoc app.
- Safe Ride – Operates when UTS isn’t running. Check the website to ensure your home is within the service area. Ideal for really early mornings while on clerkships. Download the TransLoc app and tap the icon at the bottom left of the UVA map.
- Regular academic year – usually operates 12:30 am – 7:30 am
- Academic breaks & summer – usually operates 10:00 pm – 7:30 am
- If you live on or near Jefferson Park Ave or Stadium Road, the Stadium/Hospital Shuttle runs down JPA from 6:00 am – 7:20 am.
- If you’re an M3 on General Surgery, daytime parking passes for the 11th Street Garage are available to you during clerkship orientation. They are limited in supply so only take one if you’re on a service with long hours and you would actually need it and use it.
Weekday overnight parking
- 11th Street Garage – When the nursing school garage is closed or full, you can park in the hospital’s 11th street parking garage from 5:30 pm to 9:00 am Monday–Friday with a transponder. The 11th street garage gates are usually up on the weekends, so no permit is required. The cost for parking on weeknights is a $25 deposit for the transponder, which you would get back upon return of the transponder. To get a transponder, call Parking & Transportation at 434-924-7231 and then go to the 1101 Millmont Street parking office to pay for the transponder and pick it up.
- Nursing School Garage – Permit is required from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday–Friday. At all other times (i.e. overnight and weekends), you can park without a permit.
- 11th Street Garage – See above.
- Nursing School Garage – See above.
- West Complex (off JPA, not University Ave) – Check the signs (a few spots are reserved at all times).